Failed to execute CGI : Win32 Error Code = 2
Personal Tax
Taxwiz Accounting and Consulting Inc. © 2009-2021
what's new
Bookmark and Share
question mark

Frequently Asked Questions on Personal Income Tax

If you have a question, you may find your answer here in our FAQ section. Click on the topics (listed in alphabetic order) below to view the subtopics (if any), questions and answers. Post-publication changes in legislation, government policies, or the interpretation of the law could affect the validity of the information contained herein. Answers provided are current as of the date in which they are added.

Answers to these questions are not an exhaustive treatment or analysis of such subject(s) and related law. Accordingly, information herein is not intended to constitute accounting, tax, legal, investment, consulting or other professional advice or services. Before making any decision or taking any action that might affect your personal finances or business, you should consult a qualified professional adviser. Use of information is at your own risk.

  1. Child Care Expenses
    1. I have a 3-year-old child in my custody. What is the maximum amount of child care expenses that I or my spouse can claim?
    2. I work full time. My spouse is a homemaker and has no income. Can I claim any child care expense?
  2. Children's Fitness Tax Credit
    1. What is Children's Fitness Tax Credit?
    2. What programs qualify for this credit?
  3. General Tax Questions
    1. Are there any income not taxable in Canada?
    2. Is inheritance taxable in Canada?
    3. I have no taxable income. Should I file income tax?
    4. How long do I have to keep my business records for tax purposes?
    5. What are the restrictions in using NETFILE?
    6. I received death benefit under the Canada Pension Plan to take care of the funeral arrangement of a deceased friend. Are the funeral expenses deductible in my income tax return?
  4. Immigrating to Canada
    1. I immigrated to Canada in the middle of a year. Will my income earned before landing be taxed on my first Canadian income tax return?
    2. Before immigrating to Canada, is there anything one can do to reduce tax in his first Canadian income tax return?
  5. RRSP related questions
    1. What should I do if I over contribute my RRSP?
    2. What are the tax consequences of contributing to spousal RRSP?
    3. What will happen to my RRSP when I retire?
  6. Support Payments to Spouse in Marital Breakdown
    1. I received child support from my ex-spouse. We have a separation agreement dated 2008 stipulating that payments are solely for child support. Are these payments taxable in my hands?
    2. I received spousal support from my ex-spouse. Are these payments taxable in my hands?
    3. I pay child support to a woman whose child I fathered. Can I claim this as a deduction?
    4. I paid my ex-spouse a lump sum payment as part of our separation agreement. Can I claim this payment?
    5. After marital breakdown, my ex spouse sold the principal residence (our former matrimonial home) which I have an interest. I was given a portion of the sale proceeds. Is the money given taxable in my hand?
  7. Principal Residence
    1. Can I change my principal residence to a rental property without having to report capital gains?

[This page was added on 6 April 2009, last revised on 19 Feb. 2018.]